You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.
A video used to teach junior school students about diverse families will no longer be shown after some parents mounted an aggressive campaign against if for including a depiction of same-sex couples.
So we don’t mind a diversity video, we just don’t want it that diverse… gotcha. I know it’s so wrong, but I can’t help thinking that the parents making this argument sound like the parent talking to David Sedaris during his stint as a Macy’s Christmas Elf, “Last year we had a chocolate Santa. Make sure it does not happen again!” Another gem of an excerpt from the article:
At a stormy school district meeting earlier this year one parent suggested the Golden Rule – treat others as you would treat yourself – had nothing to do with homosexuality.
“Treat others as you would want to be treated, you don’t have to teach all these horrible concepts to them about the golden rule, do you,” the parent of one eight-year old screamed at the the school board.
“When does Evesham Township or any school have a right to show to my grandchildren something I believe to be morally wrong,” asked another woman.
That headline along with the following ones came just from opening my mail and IM windows this morning. I don’t need CNN, all my news comes in from my friends!
- Gay superhero comes to the rescue — I had to leave a comment on this article simply because it bugged me that the author of the book seemed to say that Northstar, a token gay character at best, was the only gay character comic books had to offer.
- Germany foils ‘massive’ attack on US citizens — from Chris.
- Taxi Strike Begins; City Says It Is Prepared — via chat with Brenda. She mentioned how quiet it was outside with the cabbies on strike.
- Craig Considers Remaining In Senate During Legal Battle — Justin let me in on this one this morning before I left for work.
- Jerry Lewis, makes gay slur; raises millions — Ok, ok, this one was all over the place yesterday, but I just love the arrangement of the headline!