Things I learned from express

9/29/07 13:44

• Elton John and Jane Seymour both have home fragrance lines, and Sir Elton’s smells like the country.
  • 68% of online express readers think that Bill O’Reilly’s comments about Sylvia’s were racist, however the commenters did at least try to put his statement into context.
  • Apparently I was right, and while I haven’t seen it yet, Katee Sackhoff stole the Bionic Woman pilot and I should at least watch it for that.
  • The DC area has a carbon dioxide “pollution footprint” larger than Hungary, Finland, Sweden, Denmark or Switzerland.
  • China has banned tv and radio ads for figure enhancing underwear and sex toys to purge the airwaves of social pollution.
  • Henry Rollins will be at Birchmere tonight and tomorrow, as usual the story comes potentially far too late for any reader to actually get tickets.
  • Bruce Springstein just released his 16th album.
  • And as usual, I am a Sudoku GOD… when it’s easy difficulty.

Everything else was news that I managed to catch up with over the weekend, or articles that have already been out on the wire for a long while now. I fear that actually reading express (for more than the cartoons and puzzles) is going to make me the kind of news reader that actually enjoys USA Today!

I’m fairly excited that thanks to my friends, I’ve reached 90% of my current goal for AIDS Walk Washington 2007. So far I’ve only posted something about it in each place just the once, but I did expand to facebook, myspace and friendster as well. I do find it odd that so few Whitman-Walker Clinic employees have signed up to walk with the team. Actually, every WWC event I’ve gone to with Justin has been really poorly attended by the WWC people. Even after accounting for the medical staff which I’m sure is dead on their feet by the end of the day, there’s a lot of other staff that could at least make an appearance. It just looks strange. Of course with the AIDS Walk, I’m sure there will be a lot of volunteers and people working on the actual event, but like the DC Pride parade, it’s strange when Whitman-Walker is likely going to be the group leading off the walk, and there’s barely 50 people there.

Still, thank you to those that have made a donation, and thank you in advance to those that haven’t yet but plan to. I still have to make my reciprocal donations to friends that I know are registered, and I also need to get back into info-junkie mode to find out what other DC groups and causes I need to give a little time to.

You may also like...

7 Responses

1. William Mize says:

– I get to be the first to donate on behalf of a fictional character 🙂
    – “The Bionic Woman” will be this season’s “Heroes”. Mark my word. I was underwhelmed by the second season opener of the latter, and absolutely delighted by the series pilot of the former.

2. Brian says:

Well Bill, I’ll give the BW pilot a chance, I just have too strong of a tie to the original BW series, and I think that changing nearly everything about her is too much. I mean it really is true that you can’t have a bionic woman without a six million dollar man. Now I guess you just have to be dating a top-secret clearance’d geek.

I thought your donation was for a fictional character, but then I thought oh, is Nicholas real?! 😯

3. William Mize says:

I think you will like it. Invest an hour in the pilot and go from there.
    BTW, the price tag has gone up in the intervening years, she’s now carrying around about $50 million in hardware.
    Let me know what you think!

4. Moose says:

Smells like the country? You mean like cow pies and chicken houses? 😉

5. Don Blanchon says:

Brian

Thx for your efforts to support Whitman-Walker Clinic via AIDS Walk. Saturday is shaping up to be a great community event to remember those we have lost to AIDS, celebrate the courage and conviction that so many individuals living with HIV share with us each and every day, and recommit to a no holds bar fight against HIV in metro DC. Personally, this event offers me an opportunity to mark time and honor my brother, Robert Blanchon, who died from AIDS eight years ago this week.

Just a few words about Clinic employee participation in AIDS Walk. We have multiple teams
    walking on Saturday under the names of Whitman-Walker Clinic, Max Robinson Center (our clinic in Anacostia), WWC-NOVA (our clinic in Arlington), etc. Our Board of Directors are participating in either Becky’s Boardwalkers or their employer’s teams. All in all, we expect nearly 60% of our employees will walk in the event. That does not include our great event staff who are making this year’s AIDS Walk a huge success. Count on great support from Clinic employees on Saturday morning.

Looking forward to walking with you,

Don Blanchon
    Exec Director
    Whitman-Walker Clinic

6. Brian says:

Thanks Don, that does make a lot of sense when you put it that way. I’ll ask Justin which group I should try to find and walk with.

7. Lorraine says:

Dear Don,

I’m not sure how I came across the your name on the web, but I did. I think maybe someone whispered in my ear :-). It’s makes me smile to see that you are working with the Whitman-Walker Clinic thru which you are honoring Bobby everyday.

I borrowed one of your quotes (hope you don’t mind) on my myspace page http://www.myspace.com/rainyday_sunshine under the “who I’d like to meet” section and a remembrance to Bobby in the blog section.

I contributed to the 2006 AidsWalk New York in memory of Bobby, and again this year on your participant page for AidsWalk Washington DC.

Wishing you much success with the Clinic and many blessings in life.

-Lorraine