caffeine: easier to homebrew than meth!

silver contigo brand travel mug

I have been happily stickin’ it to the man for over a week now. After a friend showed me the travel mug that had become part of their daily morning routine, I was curious, but not sold. Then I priced it at Target and quickly did the math in my head of what I pay each morning at Starbucks vs. what I pay for coffee pods for my Keurig and the choice was clear. Still, my friend has a car and cupholders and can take a little extra time to get ready in the morning. I, on the other hand, ride that fine line between “Oh, I don’t need any time at all to get ready” and “Oh my god, is that the time?!” Thankfully the Keurig has a built-in timer and the mug does a really good job of keeping the liquid hot and sealed inside.* Once I learned to balance it all with my lunch stuff, it was all good. Plus I’m saving at least $5 a day on my morning beverage.**

When I had a “Monday lapse” yesterday, however, I did have the joy of re-discovering the difference between a coffee kick and an espresso kick. I had the jitters well past lunch. :mrgreen:

* I’ve always had the worst luck with travel mugs. Poor seals, too large, never keep things warm or cold. And there ain’t no cupholders on metro!

** I know, I know, it’s an expensive habit. But once you get hooked on 4-shot lattes, it’s hard to want anything else.

You may also like...

7 Responses

1. sean808080 says:

Very funny! I have really tried to cut back on spending and save more. The coffee habit was one that was easy to transition off of. Mostly because I resented paying more than a buck for plain old java and god forbid I want a cappucino!

Money in the bank my friend, and of course just as you mention, on those days when you do want a treat and hit the barrister up, you’ll enjoy the change and the kick in the pants even more.

What do you think of the keurigs? I have access to one at work and I can’t say I’m a fan.

latest entry: spring has sprung-time lapsed

2. Esprix says:

Are you looking to cut back on your caffeine? I can see where a 4-shot would put you well over the edge if you were.

latest entry: 30!

3. brian says:

@sean808080: I like my Keurig, tho the individual model I have occasionally makes a bit of noise when starting up or transferring water into the brewing chamber. Otherwise as someone that doesn’t drink coffee all day, it works out well for me. I can have a morning cup or an evening one and not worry about an entire pot to finish.

@Esprix: I have, at times, completely cut out caffeine from my diet. This ain’t one of those times. ๐Ÿ™‚ I can feel the difference though. I just like having something warm and comforting in the morning. I used to be a tea person, though tea is a bit more finicky than coffee, so for on-the-go, the bean beats the leaf.

4. Lolypup says:

I thank the God’s that all I need to get started in the morning’s is a tall glass of chilled filtered water. Grok!

5. brian says:

@Lolypup: Ooh la la, filtered water… You’re such a snob.

6. Kyle says:

Coffee is my last remaining vice. You can have my coffee mug when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

latest entry: here’s my bright-eyed boy!

7. Esprix says:

@brian: Bean beats leaf? I’m going to be polite and pretend I didn’t hear that, as I’m sure you don’t really mean that (at least not in my presence)… ๐Ÿ˜‰

latest entry: 30!