snOMG: here we go again!
Whatever you choose to call it, Snowpocalypse, snOMG (or snOMG2), snOMGasm or my personal reigning champions Snowpocalypse II: Son of Snowpocalypse (This Time It’s Personal) and Snowpocalypse 2: Electric Boogaloo… the snow is coming! At least that’s what everyone panicking, hoarding, declaring emergencies and planning to work from home would have you believe. We’ve definitely seen more than our fair share of snow this Winter which is just fine by me. I actually love the stuff, what I don’t love is getting snowed in on my own. Cabin Fever sets in and it’s not pretty. Growing up in Georgia, we got sparse blizzards*, so I don’t really have proper winter clothes. I know, I know, I’ve lived in DC for 13 years, I should be more prepared. But honestly, since I rarely have to go anywhere when it snows, staying in is fine by me. Though I just got a text from a friend:
Ok… I can’t take another weekend trapped in my joint!
So… maybe I should swing by a store and get some gloves and/or boots, just in case I need to get some fresh air.
- Noon — Mt. Pleasant Snowball Fight, perhaps a little on the hush-hush. I got an e-mail sent through my blog** saying, “Mount Pleasant snowball fight noon sat 2/6 Park/Mount Pleasant Streets. No cops no guns. ;-)” No more details than that.
- Noon — Per twitter, a snowball fight is planned at 14th & U in front of the Reeves Center.
- Noon — On the Ellipse by the Whitehouse
- Noon — Ft. Dupont Park/Randle Circle
- 1 p.m. — Washington DC Environment Meetup Group (2nd & R Sts NE DC)
- 2 p.m. — The Official Dupont Circle Snowball Fight
- 2 p.m. — Columbia Heights Snowball Fight!! (Meridian Hill/Malcolm X Park)
- 2 p.m. — Capitol Hill Snowball Fight (Lincoln Park @ 11th Street & East Capitol)
- 3 p.m. — Snowpocalypse II: Snowball Fight and Snow Kickball! [Facebook] (The National Mall w/food & beer run to follow at Hamiltons Bar & Grill)
- 4 p.m. — GWs University Yard [Mentioned on The Foggy Bottom Blog] (bounded by 20th, G, 21st & H Sts NW — The Colonial Army will sponsor ‘Snowlympics’ before today’s game against Duquesne at 2. Snowball fight planned to start after the game.)
Whatever you end up doing, whether braving the cold, locking yourself in, or heading out for some good-natured child-like fun, stay warm, stay safe and enjoy the snow!
* But make no mistake, when they arrived, they were proper traffic-halting, school-closing, power-cutting blizzards. Not the “one flake falls and everyone goes insane” light snowfalls.
** I’m still listed in a few places as living in Mount Pleasant, oops!